The Spatchcock Christmas Chicken
It's Christmas - the most beautiful time of the year, and it's another festive season, which means we are back in the kitchen. This time, we are cooking up some Cornish Hens in spatchcock style, that gets every part of the bird properly SEASONED!
My biggest problem with "center table" proteins at festive events is that sometimes they are bulky and not seasoned as well as they should be, and this recipe addresses that. Quality over quantity!
For this recipe, we are using Cornish Hens. These are smaller hens that are very flavorful, and because they are smaller, the seasoning gets in the crevices and as close to the bone as possible. We are seasoning these hens with The Ultimate Marinade! If you still need to make this marinade recipe, this is your sign to do it.
- 3 Carrots
- 4 Potatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- 3 Green Onions
- 2 Cornish Hens
- 2 Tbsp of Poks Spices Hot Seasoning
- 2 Cups of The Ultimate Herb Dressing
The vegetables will be seasoned with some Poks Spices Red Chili West African Seasoning to make sure every part of this dish is seasoned to perfection!
The Spatchcook Christmas Chicken sounds like a fun storybook you would read in elementary school, but let's stay focused.
- Cut all your vegetables (potatoes, onions and carrots - in cubes) and chop up green onions roughly.
- In a bowl, combine all the vegetables, drizzle some olive oil, and add 2 tbsp of the Poks Spices Hot blend and set aside.
- Get your Cornish Hens and cut along the backbone on both sides of the spine till you can get the back bone out.
- Cutting it this way opens up the chicken on the back i.e between the breasts with a knife and make them flat.
- Place your cornish hens in a bowl, season with 1 tbsp of salt, and mix in 2 Cups of the ultimate herb dressing. Massage the marinade into every nook and cranny of your cornish hens. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Add seasoned vegetables to the base in a baking pan and place your spatchcock cornish hens on the vegetables.
- Heat your oven to 350 F and cook your cornish hens for 60 minutes, and it is done!