Sweet And Savory Ground Beef Plantain Patties
It’s been a minute or 2 months in regular time. I apologize for the absence, summer has been so busy for me working full time and the like.
Well to this recipe. I was having a rough weekend, and what better way to get over it than to get in the kitchen. I went to the Mexican store saw these overripe plantains, and decided they would be good to make Mosa (it is a Nigerian snack made from mashed plantains mixed with flour and fried in ball forms). I picked about six of them and paid $0.50 for them because the store didn’t want such negativity anymore.
When life throws you overripe plantains, buy ground beef and make this recipe.
- 1 lb of Ground Beef
- 3/4 Cups of All Purpose Flour
- 4 Overripe Plantains
- A Handful of fresh Cilantro
- 2 tsps Kosher Salt
- 2 tsps Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Garlic
- 2 Eggs
- Canola Oil
So I had this crazy idea, what if your regular burger patty was sweet instead of having to pour a sweet sauce over it? Voila! Idea was brilliant but I had to tweak it. It couldn’t be just plantain and meat, so I decided to add some herbs to the mix to give it a kick and freshness. What other herb could do that other than cilantro?
Insider tip: my friend told me “this is a huge risk you are taking. Usually when a person wants to “try” something new from scratch they do it small”. I told him I was sure what I was doing. Trust me it turned out amazing. You can serve this in tinier servings, as a canapé or as an appetizer or even as a main dish, it is quite filing.
- Mash your Plantains properly and aggressively in a bowl and pour in your ground beef. Mix together slightly or with leftover aggression.
- Grab a handful of Cilantro and chop it very finely like the way they do on Food Channel and add it to the mix.
- Throw in your Flour, Salt, Crushed pepper flakes, Garlic and eggs and mix everything till properly incorporated. You don’t want a huge bite to be just meat or worse off, salt.
- Drink some water.
- In a pan add some Oil and put on medium high heat. Scoop some of the mix with a spoon and drop it in the oil. Fry for a minute on one side, flip it, then with a spatula flatten it out in the oil so it looks like a patty.
After about 4 minutes or when it is golden brown around. It is done. Easy right!
I tried the first one out and it was so good I did a victory lap around my kitchen. I was so proud of myself I went a little extra on the plating. (I broke my diet rule and finished that plate at 10PM).